November 4, 2006

Can I use "wow"?

From the World Wide Words Newsletter:
*****
"Did you hear about the new world record score in Scrabble? Michael Cresta scored 830 points during a game at the Lexington Scrabble Club in Massachusetts on 12 October 2006. His words included quixotry, which itself claims a record as the highest recorded single turn, scoring 365 points. Quixotry: the state or condition of being extremely idealistic, unrealistic and impractical."
*****
I love Scrabble -- always have, ever since my mom hooked me on the game with all-night sessions when I was about nine. I'm a pretty traditional player and think the use of bizarre two-letter words that only pro players know kind of ruins the fun -- but still, no one in my house will play with me. So I've grown rusty...and completely wowed by a 365-pointer, let alone an 830-point game that apparently used words with some meat to them.

Or maybe I'm just being quixotic?

2 comments:

Lisa Ryan said...

I love it too and we have been talking about getting together to play this, so let's do it! I play the online version occasionally but it's not as much fun as person to person. 365 points is HUGE.

v said...

I'm sure I'm no competition for YOU! I haven't played since a few years back -- an online version with some faraway friends.

I still have the DEEEEluxe edition of, maybe, 1971 or so. I should count the tiles. But you know me well enough to know I'm missin' a few pieces in my game LOL.

Maybe in the wintertime we should have monthly Grrrrls boardgame nights. Or is that the mission of Bunko? (At least, anywhere but in my neighborhood.)